This month I celebrate my 50th birthday, a milestone for many and amidst my celebrations and congratulations my mind started to drift and reflect on my journey so far, my achievements, my lessons , my loves, my joy, my bliss and my critical moments. This got me thinking about what I now know for sure. So as I start the next phase of my journey here are my top ten….
1. That love is far more important than money ANY day of the week. Yes I hear you say it is no fun to be broke but so long as you have people who love you to share being broke, life will and always does get better. True wealth is what’s left when the money runs out!
2. That my intuition is worth more than every qualification I have studied long and hard for and believe me I have many! Most of the business mistakes I have made have all happened when I have ignored or overridden my intuition.
3. That imitation is the highest form of flattery and no longer a threat to me. I know for sure my style, substance and passion is unique and you may copy what I say and what I do but you will never do it the way I do it, nor leave the same footprint. I finally understand I am an artist! Thank you Seth Godin for your amazing book The Icarus Deception that shone the light on my individuality.
4. That common sense is not always common and it generally only makes sense to you!
5. That authenticity is the end game, the Holy Grail and the purpose of ALL personal development. We are all searching for our voice, our true self in everything we do, feel and say. I found mine many years ago and refuse to compromise or marginalise it for anyone or anything. This has demanded courage at many times in my life and has meant I have had to say goodbye to some people but if I am not true to me what is the point of my life?
6. That feminism and sisterhood has never been more important. All over the world, every day women and girls are raped, abused, beaten and exploited. Closer to home domestic violence is commonplace, the media is a playground for porn and misogyny and women are almost invisible at the top in all areas of corporate and public life. Our pioneering is not over and now is not the time to take our foot off the gas. The next generation deserve our continued vigilance and campaigning.
7. That life begins at the end of your comfort zone. If you are not risking you are not living. This takes gumption but I know the alternative, settling for mediocrity or simply cruising makes me play small and makes me miserable!
8. That the family you are born into is not necessarily the place you will find unconditional love, respect, joy and validation. I now have very little to do with my blood family, it has been a long and painful journey but the family I have created makes up for all the disappointment and stress a million times over. I consider myself loved and lucky.
9. That emotional resilience is a fundamental skill needed to live your best life but one that can only be honed by failing and making mistakes. Failure is the gift that allows us to learn lessons and shift our mindset. I am grateful for all my failures, even the frame breaking ones, as without them my lessons would have remained hidden and I would never have found my true calling nor my strength.
10. That passion is contagious and life affirming and under no circumstance should you ever give up searching and exploring the reason why you are here. I found my purpose in my late thirties when I found my niche helping women step up and shine. This work led me to inspire and support teen girls and the rest, as they say, is history!
And just a final word, you do not have to wait till you hit the big 50 to reflect on what you know for sure. I challenge you to write your top ten list today. I would love to hear them. Now back to my celebrations……….